Tuesday, January 20, 2009

When I saw...

5:10 pm: My mom is driving me to work. I spent all evening up until now inside, with my friend Liz, making music and (more) videos, as well as getting ready for work. She left to go back up to school today. But she told me that she would probably be coming back down again next weekend.

While my mom is driving, I'm silently thinking about how Liz and I made a video for Mae Leah and how it made her happy. But in an instant my attention is stolen by the most challenging and staggering picture of color and light that I have ever seen.

A dark stretching cloud-wall, resembling a large, sloppy brush stroke from an old brush hung far up in the sky, highlighted by slits of a mix of screaming orange and yellow, it was on fire. All around it were transparent clouds that were not yellow, but gold. It's very presence violated all that was under it, changing everything's true color to a bright orange.

I saw the most beautiful sunset today, and I'll never forget it.

They way that it's beauty shamelessly mocked the orange, human, buildings beneath it. I felt that if hope was ever turned into a visual thing, it would be what I saw then, between 5:10 and 5:15 pm on Monday, January 19th, 2009.

It made me wonder: did anyone else experiencing this sunset the way I did? Was there someone else drinking it in just like me? I really hoped so.

Did you see it?

5 comments:

Morgan Miller said...

Today I sat outside and I watched the most gloriously beautiful sunset I had ever seen in my life and all I could think about was how I wish I could have shared it with you.

Cassandra said...

Alas. I missed it. It sounds gorgeous, though. :D

Morgan Miller said...

:(

Kenny said...

why so :(?
also, does that mean you saw it?

Morgan Miller said...

Of course I saw it!
That's why I said that.
That I saw it.
And I was :( that Cassandra missed it, and also that only thing I could think when I saw it was about was how I wished I could have seen it with you.

Take heart, we shall see one in the future. :)